Wednesday, September 18, 2024

AmericanaFest Kicks Off On Music Row

Harvest Moon, A Lunar Eclipse, And Two Bright Stars.  

Tuesday Evening Shows.

By MCAU Correspondent Wil Comstock

After fighting traffic and a little trouble with the pass pickup, we arrived at BMI Rooftop Kick Off Party. We barely had enough time to snatch the last of the BBQ chicken and grab a drink before headliner Wyatt Flores began his set. The bright star of the evening.




The Oklahoma native kicked off with “Orange Bottles (WhatAm I Chasing, Who Have I Become).” A smirk etched across my face as I realized this guy has the potential to be a big star! He just released his first full-length album, “Welcome to the Plaines to rave reviews.  Last Spring’s “Half Life” EP received considerable airplay.  There is a buzz surrounding Flores all over town.


“Running Out of Time,” “Holes,” and “I Believe in God” were crowd favorites.  Keep a lookout for rising star Wyatt Flores. 




Heading back to the car, we stopped to look at the harvest moon vailed in clouds.  The lunar eclipse would begin in a couple of hours.




Parking on Rolling Hill, we walked down to Martin’s BBQ to listen to the 65 Years of Fame Studio Party. A Brother’s Fountain was on stage introducing their fun rap song “Chipmunk.”  There wasn’t a still foot in the house as lead singer Justin Jacob kept time with his heal on the kick drum pedal while standing and singing lead vocals. They closed with the rowdy “Get Your Ass Outside.”






Next up, Birmingham’s Marrisa Luna.  I noticed audience members nodding to each other as she performed “Midnight.”  She has great stage presence, strong vocals, and she definitely has the look. I expect to hear good things about her in the future. She was followed by Holli Mosley from Mobile.  I was looking forward to her set, and she did not disappoint. Her vocals on Etta James’ “Tell Mama” melted my heart. She soulfully delivered “Do Right Woman, Do Right Man” and rocked the house with Zepplin’s “Rock and Roll.”  I only wish she’d performed some original material. Maybe I’ll write something for her! It was time to walk up the hill







I was psyched to hear the greatest blues artist of our time, Shemekia Copeland. Arriving at 3rd and Lindsley, we circled the room, looking for a seat. We couldn’t find one, so we stood up front. That’s where I wanted to be anyway!   I’m glad we arrived early because Shamika began half an hour before her scheduled time. Cheers rose as the second bright star of the evening appeared. She tore into “Dancing in the Graveyard” as she sautéed in her form-fitting black dress and matching 4-inch heels.  Oooh she looked mean until the end of the song when she smiled and graciously said, “Thank you.” Shemekia treated us to several songs from her new album “Blame IOnEve.” “Tough Mother,” Wine O’Clock,” “Cadilac Blue,” and the title track.  She introduced a song her blues legend father, Johnny Copeland, penned for her mother, “Made Me Love You Like I Do.” In a set full of blues songs, this was the busiest! 





Leaving the venue and looking up at the night sky, I realized I had just missed the earth’s shadow partially covering the moon.  But as a consolation, I just witnessed Shemekia Copeland eclipsing all of the blues singers of this generation.







 

No comments:

Post a Comment