By Wil Comstock
MCAU Contributing Writer
Eddie Slide and His Cowtown Dozen, The Basement East (Sept. 19, 2026)
After the Thirty Tigers Gospel Brunch and seeing a few acts at The Commonwealth of Kentucky Party at the Basement on Eighth Avenue, we headed over to The Basement East. Over the years, I intended to go there but never quite made it. On the AmericanaFest app, I read that some cow band was going to be playing. Hmmm, we’ll see how that goes. At least I’ll get to finally see the venue and have a beer.
There was no one playing when we got there. After a few minutes, a tall skinny guy with a white cowboy hat appeared at the mike and said the show would begin in a few minutes. Did you notice his cowskin tie? Hmmm.
True to his word, Eddie Slide and His Cowtown Dozen soon took to the stage. All in white shirts and black trousers and a few black skirts, these guys and gals made a grand musical entrance. This was Texas swing at it’s finest. With five brass, fiddles, guitars, a harp (yeah, a harp), a marimba, and keys, they swung like no band had ever swung before at the Basement East. I counted 17 musicians including the two girl singers. People were dancing, really tearing up the rug on the dance floor. Toes were tapping, hands clapping, everyone was smiling. Eddie was dancing on stage during a musical interlude and did the split! My friend Chuck put down his beer and joined the dancing merriment. Look at him go! I didn’t know he could dance like that!
Eddie introduced “My Blue Heaven,” saying it would be 100 years old next year. I thought of my parents, now gone. They would have loved this. Chuck Mead of BR549 was brought to the stage to cheers from the crowd to sing a song about “Cigarettes.”
I couldn’t find a web site for the band. There was very little on their Facebook page. They are based in Nashville and will be performing on Sept. 30 at Skinny Denny’s Starlight Jamboree. It starts at 7 p.m. There are dance lessons at 6. If you are looking for great entertainment, you should be there! I will be!
Follow Music City Arts Update on the social networks @MusicCityArts.
No comments:
Post a Comment