Wednesday, September 9, 2015

Country Artist Scott Coner Releases 'Sanibel' from 'In The Studio' Acoustic Music Video Series


            NASHVILLE, Tenn. (September 2015) – Country artist ScottConer has released "Sanibel", a music video honoring Sanibel Island, Fla., from his acoustic music video series called "In The Studio With Scott Coner."

            "Sanibel", an up-tempo country ballad, was released on You Tube and Facebook on Sept. 8. Other song videos will follow in the coming weeks and months. Coner, who has worked with artists such as Tanya Tucker and T. Graham Brown, says he used an "organic approach" to present his songs in their most basic form. 

            To download the "Sanibel" video, visit the artist's website at www.ScottConer.com, his Facebook page at www.Facebook.com/ScottConerMusic, or You Tube at https://youtu.be/VNKBtxHbYMI

Scott Coner (Photo by Cyndi Coner)

            "I wrote my song 'Sanibel' sitting at my kitchen table one night alone with a cup of coffee," said Coner, who worked with T. Graham Brown on the previous studio version. "My family has been to the island many times together, and I suppose I was just thinking about the beach that evening. Oddly enough, I wrote the bridge to the song at an old movie house while watching 'The Ghost and Mr. Chicken'."

            Like the first music video from the series, Coner sang and played the song from start to finish without interruption with guitarist Jake Widenhofer, percussionist Bryan Tewell, and bass player Adam Cunningham. The studio musicians were encouraged to play the songs from their own perspective.

            "I wasn't going for the highly polished sound that we have all become accustomed to," added Coner, who will perform at "Tunesmithing" songwriters showcase in Nashville on Sept. 16 during Americana Music Week. "I think one of the things we have lost in this digital age is the spontaneity that this type of recording offers. Something that hit home with me years ago was when John Mellencamp released 'Pink Houses' and 'Small Town' on a stripped-down acoustic release. I never forgot that, and I suppose this is my attempt."

            For the video shoot, the four musicians sat with their instruments in chairs left to right in front of a brick and wood-accented fireplace. Performances were miked or fed into a soundboard, where engineer Sean Spence monitored volume and reverb levels. Each song was recorded from start to finish without interruption to produce a live acoustic feel. Scott's wife, Cyndi, manned the camera for the Coner family's Cynnamae Media Productions. She added several scenes of Scott and his family walking on the island's white sandy beaches.

            "The musical approach was anything but technical really," Scott added. "The guys all had a click track with a basic in their ears, but I opted to do my part listening to the room only. The only issue for me with this approach was that I couldn't hear the bass at all."

Scott Coner records "Sanibel" at Blue Grotto in Nashville (Photo by Cyndi Coner)

            The artist describes "Sanibel" as a romantic beach song with a "really cool rhythm groove". Scott, Cyndi and their two daughters have enjoyed walking the Gulf Coast beaches and exploring the famous Australian pines. 

            "My oldest daughter Emily was still in diapers when I took her for a walk down the beach at Sanibel," Scott added. "I saw some pines down the beach about half a mile away. I thought they would be great taking pictures of my beautiful baby daughter. So, I walked the beach holding her little hand, constantly looking down to be certain she wouldn't hurt her little feet on a sharp shell or jellyfish, etc. We arrived at the fallen pines, and I climbed over them with her. I looked around stunned trying to figure out exactly what was out of place. I realized I had accidentally walked into a nude bathing area."

            Other upcoming song videos from the acoustic series will include "Taylorsville Angel", a tune about a truck stop waitress and a lonely trucker; and "Nashville Song", a recent music video about overcoming disappointments on Music Row. The artist will return to Nashville on Sept. 15 to record a classic rock/pop tune from the early 1970s.

            "I've never attempted to make a record that is technically perfect from end to end," Scott continued. "My music is usually about my life in some way, and I kind of look at my songs the way someone might look at a photo album or scrapbook. My hope is that people will continue to identify with the songs and apply them to their own life in one way or another."

            A self-proclaimed family man, Scott Coner lives with his wife and two daughters on rural farmland near Franklin, Ind. He has recorded songs with a who's who of country legends including Tanya Tucker, T. Graham Brown, and Charlie Daniels. Scott's single "Maybe She Lied", a duet with Tucker on Reedy's Dream Records, hit number one on the United Kingdom's Hot Disk Top 40. Other songs, including "Sanibel" (a duet with Brown) and "Reedy's Dream" (with vocal and instrumental contributions from Daniels) have been heard on terrestrial and online radio stations around the world. Also an emerging author, Scott recently penned the book "Lynyrd Skynyrd: Ronnie Van Zant and Me" with Gene Odom, a survivor of the Lynyrd Skynyrd plane crash.

            To learn more about Scott Coner or to download his songs and videos, visit www.ScottConer.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment