Friday, September 16, 2022

Americana Fest Opens at Optimist with Music and all the Trimmings

The Optimist, Concord Records 9/13/22

Report from MCAU Staff Writer Wil Comstock

 

     After finding a place to park by the petroleum plant (who knew we had one of these in Nashville), we made our way to The Optimist on Adams Street in Germantown.  The place was packed as we registered to get in.  My eyes were fixed on the seafood spread against the wall. Could this be for us?  The answer was yes!  Huge shrimp on ice, several kinds of oysters on the half shell, and the best hush puppies I have ever had. Chuck Whiting, MCAU Editor, was delighted, since he’s a pescatarian!  Concord Records spared no expense on this spread.  Once seated, we were told there was another buffet section with hors d’oeuvres and desserts.  Did I mention there was an open bar all evening?  After filling our tummies, we headed down the hall to the show.

     First up was Caroline Spence, who performed her set with a sweet mountain voice accompanying herself on guitar. Her honest lyrics and intimate delivery really drew me in.  We were seated on the left side where some of the musicians unpacked their instruments. A husky guy with overalls and a floppy hat removed his guitar and waited his turn.  I couldn’t help but wonder what this chap would sound like.  The emcee announced “Bony James” as he made his way to the stage.  His gut bucket guitar had me nodding, and his smooth blues vocals had me smiling.  Really enjoyed his fun love song “Pigsty!”  Red head Bella White gave a solid traditional country set, playing guitar with upright bass and fiddle side musicians. I really liked the reflective ballad “The Way I Oughta Go.”  Another red head, Logan Ledger, was up next.  From my seat, in profile, he looked a little like John Sebastian of the Lovin’ Spoonful.  Logan had my foot tapping on the upbeat ballad “All the Wine in California.”  At this point, we left our coveted seats for a bathroom break and a fresh drink.  Fortunately, the show was pipped into the restauant.  While sipping my cocktail, I heard the most longing beautiful voice with a lone guitar.  Looking through my program, I found it was Katie Pruitt!  If you get a chance check her out, you won’t be disappointed.  We made our way back to the showcase to catch the last act, Sierra Ferrell. What a polished and well-rehearsed act.  Playing guitar, she was joined by fiddle, upright bass, mandolin, and backing vocals.  I loved her take on Western Swing with her West Virginia hill country vocals.  What a fun set!  What a great night!

Learn more about the Americana Music Fest at www.AmericanaMusic.org. Follow us on Facebook and Instagram at @MusicCityArts and @Chuck.Whiting. 









No comments:

Post a Comment