Wednesday, September 20, 2023

AmericanaFest 2023: Missing a Show Ain’t So Bad (or Is it?) Hire a Driver!

By Wil Comstock

MCAU Contributing Writer


Sept. 20 (Wednesday)


AMERICANAFEST Day Stage presented by NPR Music, World Cafe and WMOT

Featuring Bobby Rush, Dom Flemons, Eileen Jewel, 

Maggie Rose, and Tommy Emmanuel



     I was really looking forward to this show. Two legends, a Flemons, Jewell, and a Rose. I left early, hit some heavy traffic on the way in, I found a parking spot near Monroe and Fourth Avenue.  It was getting a little warm out, but I didn’t mind the five-block hike to the Bowl to see such a star-studded show.  


     Approaching the venue, I noticed there didn’t seem to be much activity. I pulled on the door, and it was locked.  I opened my AmericanaFest app only to find the event was at Eastside Bowl. I was at Brooklyn Bowl! And I live here! But then again, the only time I cross the river is to go to the Tomato Fest once a year.


     So, I turned around, walked back to the car, by then it was 12 p.m. (starting time). I made the decision not to go. I had a meeting on the other side of town at 2 p.m. Eastside Bowl was 5 -½ miles in the opposite direction, on a street with multiple stop lights.


     But never fear. My contacts told me it was the best show they ever saw. The waiters were shirtless, the waitresses wore bikinis, and the concert goers were told to leave their shoes at the door. All drinks were half price, and the pizza was free. To top it off, there was a special guest appearance by Dolly Parton and Paul McCartney singing their new release “Let it Be.” 


     Yeah, “Let It Be” all right. Next time I’m hiring a driver!


     At least I made my meeting on time… Ugh!


No comments:

Post a Comment