Friday, April 27, 2012

NCA's 'Score-Com' Provides Invaluable Insights for Composers

By Greg Sims
MCAU Music and Film Correspondent


I participated in "Score-Com" (a two-day seminar for media composers) for the first time this year. Even though I am a veteran composer for advertising, production music, theme parks and television ("The Oprah Winfrey Show", "Dr. Oz"), I am somewhat new to the feature film scoring scene ("The Lion of Judah", "Tugger the Jeep Who Wanted to Fly") and am of the mindset that one never stops learning. I also wanted to meet some of my fellow Nashville composers. 


(Photo: Greg Sims)

The "Score-Com" panel consisted of veteran LA-based film composer Aaron Zigman ("The Notebook", "Sex In the City") and Richard Glasser, music executive for the Weinstein Company ("The King’s Speech", "The Artist"). Aaron’s experience, insight and versatility enabled him to share many tips of the trade on how to approach scoring for film. Richard shared a wealth of information drawing from his experience as a music editor and his expertise on music synchronization rights. All of the attendees were given the opportunity to score a short film clip and received invaluable feedback from the two panelists.

I really enjoyed "Score-Com", and I look forward to attending another one in the future. I'd like to thank Geoff Koch of the Nashville Composers Association for organizing and moderating the event. 



Learn more about the Nashville Composers Association at http://www.nashvillecomposers.org . 

No comments:

Post a Comment